Re: A82: Update on...me (mostly the "3D game")

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Update on...me (mostly the "3D game")

> Isn't this list about Assembly for the ti-82 not BASIC for the ti-92
>  On Sat, 8 Aug 1998 22:50:26 EDT ADAMMAN106@aol.com writes:
>  >

Well it seems you're new to the list but all of the following is plans for a
raycasting game similar to Doom by ID Software.

>  >Well, as I said earlier I've been away for a while, so I've done much
>  >thinking
>  >and an unusual amount of BASIC coding, reading and re-reading of
>  >tutorials and
>  >sourcecode.  Right now I've given up on the floorcasting in the
>  >worf-style
>  >engine that I made in 82-BASIC and have moved on.  I am now working on
>  >a more
>  >Doom-style engine in 92-BASIC (purely due to its power in variables
>  >and
>  >subprograms) that has non-orthogonal walls.
>  >I'm getting a clearer picture of the "3D game" (temp name) and its
>  >features.
>  >Right now what I think it will include these features:
>  >
>  >* Non-orthogonal walls of same height
>  >* Sector-based level structure
>  >* "constant-z" based texture mapping
>  >* sky picture (not texture) - you can see this as the rolling hills
>  >beyond
>  >Doom courtyards and in Duke as the LA skyline (most easily seen on top
>  >of the
>  >building that you start out on)
>  >* Solid floor - texture mapped floors and ceilings are simply too slow
>  >for
>  >practical rendering speed
>  >

Right now I see that there is a 3D game "craze" on other calcs (World in 3D on
the TI-92 and Maze3D on the TI-85.
This gives me a chance to promote 3D Game, as it will be much more advanced
than those two games (plus Daedalus on the 85).  Those games are Wolfenstein
style raycasting engines, where the world is made up of huge cubes and all
walls are 90 degrees with each other (orthogonal).  3D Game is made up of
sectors with walls that are thin and at any angle with each other.  This could
even be faster than traditional raycasting, but we'll see.
I hope you don't mind, I took this oportunity to clear all that up

~Adamman