A82: Update on...me (mostly the "3D game")

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A82: Update on...me (mostly the "3D game")

Well, as I said earlier I've been away for a while, so I've done much thinking
and an unusual amount of BASIC coding, reading and re-reading of tutorials and
sourcecode.  Right now I've given up on the floorcasting in the worf-style
engine that I made in 82-BASIC and have moved on.  I am now working on a more
Doom-style engine in 92-BASIC (purely due to its power in variables and
subprograms) that has non-orthogonal walls.
I'm getting a clearer picture of the "3D game" (temp name) and its features.
Right now what I think it will include these features:

* Non-orthogonal walls of same height
* Sector-based level structure
* "constant-z" based texture mapping
* sky picture (not texture) - you can see this as the rolling hills beyond
Doom courtyards and in Duke as the LA skyline (most easily seen on top of the
building that you start out on)
* Solid floor - texture mapped floors and ceilings are simply too slow for
practical rendering speed

I think I will try to impliment variable-height walls in a slow, exact Doom
replica used "just for fun" and not as a game at all
As for a fighting game...some of you know that I was planning to make MK after
Dr. Mario, but I got "distracted" with the possibility of a Duke3D-type game
on the TI-82 (mostly after I played it for the first time on my friend's N64).
Now that I hear of Chris's kung-fu game, I think I may not do this anymore.
As for Dr. Mario, I don't think it will ever get done.  I have not heard
anything from the special testers, so I assume that that they have given up.
If anyone really wants to see it, email me and I'll see whether it's worth it
to take it apart and fix it.  It's definitely fixable, but I'm not sure that I
care enought to fix it.  If I don't think there is enough demand for it, I'll
just release what I have, get the graylib out, and move on to 3D game.
Wow, this turned out longer than I expected.  I hope I didn't bore you people
Please tell me what you think

~Adamman