Re: A82: Answers to misc. Q's (and how to crash back to TIOS in Ash)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Dines Christy Justesen wrote:

> I just got back from a week of skiing in France, and naturally I have some
> comments to some of the question which have been asked while I was gone.
>
> Crashing back to Ash / TI-OS :
>
> If you want to crash back to Ash, just do a RET. If you are not sure that
> you have pop all the info you have pushed, save the stack pointer in the
> beginning of you program (use the code send to this list by Barybary).
>
> IT IS POSSIBLE TO CRASH BACK TO TIOS eventhough some people say that it is
> not. It has never been tested and it requires the use of some undocumented
> Ash features however the following code should work:
>
> SUB A ; A=0
> LD ($8D70),A ; ($8D70) = A = 0
> RET
>
> As I said, it has never been tested, but it should work. (This might not
> work in future versions of Ash, but they will include another way to do
> this (simpler)).
>
> Self-modifying :
>
> Self-modifying code is used a lot in Ti8x shells, since it gives faster
> and smaller code, but for some reason it is almost never used in any other
> kind of programs. When you first get used to writing this kind of code it
> is not harder to write, and it can give a lot better results. I have used
> it for some display routines (included in some never released programs),
> where it almost halfed the size of the code. So try to thinking of this
> when you are coding.
>
> Build in Random function :
>
> Both the build in function and the ones normally used in assembly games
> uses an randseed number to generate the next number. As far as I remember
> TI has a document descriping the algorithme used on their web site, but I
> have not looked for it for a while. I once looked at the source code for
> the random function, put it is really complicated.
>
> Dines
>
> BTW thecubic@juno.com wrote:
> >Tsk, tsk, Bill Gates is the assembly man... back in '74 he wrote BASIC
>
> Before Bill Gates got a computer he wrote a BASIC interpeter for some old
> computer on paper (without the possibility to test it). He later sold it
> to a company (it worked the first time !), and then he formed Microsoft.
> Most people on this list would not be able to do anything like that.
>
> _______________________________________
>
> Dines Justesen
> Email: dines@post1.com or
>        c958362@student.dtu.dk
> WWW  : http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c958362/

      Neither routine worked.  The exit to Ash routine ALWAYS caused the
program to disappear in the Ash program list and sometimes caused other
problems like lockups and mem errors.  The crash to TI-OS routine ALWAYS just
shuts the calc off and then when ya turn it back on it has various errors.
Like missing program name and mem errors.  I really thank everyone for the
help but if I don't get a valid routine I'll have to release a less-compatible
Crash version without the teacher key.