Re: A82: Bill Gates

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Bill Gates

>Great, now we can hate (envy) him for his money AND his programming
>skills.

>>> Before Bill Gates got a computer he wrote a BASIC interpeter for
>>some old

He may not have had a computer, but he had access to his colleges PDP

>>>  computer on paper (without the possibility to test it). He later
>>sold it

He tested it on a cheep emulator ran on the PDP, which is why he wasn't
sure if itd realy run...

>>>  to a company (it worked the first time !), and then he formed
>>Microsoft.

He sold it to the company which made the Altair.  THey had rights to it.
He had founded microsoft and later tried to program basic for another
company, but he couldn't because Altair had rights to basic...  Then altair
was sold to another guy who thought a little kid like bill would never be
able to win...
Then bill clearly stated in court that the liscense in which altair had
rights said that altair had to honor all requests and carefully consider
them.  Since the comapny didn't even consider any requests for basic, the
liscense was abused and was terminated.  Then bill gates was able to sell
it to other companies.

He then hired a person to make a disk drive controller for basic called
DOS.  Bill didn't write a single line of code for dos.

>>>  Most people on this list would not be able to do anything like
>>that.

I'm sure they could...  The processor used in teh Altair is very very
similar to the 8080 or Z80.  Infact, even the interpreter wouldn't be too
hard

>>ouch, that's a hit to EVERY programmer in the world!
>>So this means he really is a god?

No, it means he lieks to hire people to make dos and then say he made it...

The encarta dictionary had the entry for dos "Disk Operating System made by
Bill Gates"  The real person who made dos, sued microsoft for that.  Now it
reads "Disk Operating System created by Microsoft".  Bill doesn't want to
admit he didn't have a thing to do with it...