Re: A82: New reviews/the [ON] button

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 03:11 PM 12/2/97 -0800, you wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:
>
>> It's keyboard interface was not only difficult to master, but it crashed my
>> calc when I accidentally pressed [ON].
>
>What is it with the [ON] button?  I crashed my a few times with different
>games and it was because I pressed [ON].  Is it because game programmers
>are leaving something out of their input routines?  Something like di
>(disable interupts)?
>
>-Humberto

The problem with programmers is that they refuse to read documentation!!!
If you people would read the include files and study up on how to use the
KEY_HANDler properly, you wouldn't run into these crashes and bugs.  If you
are too lazy to type something like ROM_CALL(KEY_HAND) \ res 4,(IY+09) into
a macro, don't bother to program.  People get REALLY ticked off when they
accidentally press a key they aren't supposed to and crash their calc.
This is why I won't be playing Lights Out (or any other game by Adamman)
until the author cleans up his act.  Take your time to program, beta test
EVERYTHING, leave no room for flaws.  This is why my programs end up
looking fairly professional without any help from anyone else.  This is
also why my programs also take longer to finish...I do NOT like flaws/bugs
of any type in them.  Sloppy/quick code=bugs galore.  Taking it slow and
carefully=few bugs (easily cornered and removed) and cleaner code.

BTW, the [ON] key isn't like any other key...it can't be detected except
through the interrupt it creates.  In other words, it isn't connected to
the main keypad directly.  You have to access port 3 to get it.  ALWAYS res
4,(IY+09) whenever an [ON] interrupt has been generated or you run the
serious risk of a crash.

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org

  Spam-Fighter code is:  14806560   (New technique to fighting spam)
  Enter "Spam-Fighter:  XXXXXXXX" in the body of a personal message
  to thruska@tir.com.  Otherwise the message will be filtered as spam.