ticalc.org
Basics Archives Community Services Programming
Hardware Help About Search Your Account
   Home :: Archives :: News :: More New Features: Featured Programs

More New Features: Featured Programs
Posted by Nick on 30 October 1999, 00:35 GMT

We have yet another exciting feature at ticalc.org! Every time our archiving staff comes across a program of merit, it's added to ticalc.org's Featured Programs. Every month, the featured program list will become the nomination list for the Program of the Month (POTM) and that month's POTM winners will be voted on by our users from the list. Featured programs also have a new color for the fileinfo icon (). As you can probably see in the recent updates list, six programs have been selected by us to be the first featured programs. This month, POTM will be selected the old way, but starting at the end of next month, the POTM will be determined by the method mentioned above. This ensures that no program will be accidentally selected twice for POTM, and it also ensures that TI-BASIC programs will be better represented. If you feel that we missed a program, or you have any questions or comments regarding the featured programs, please email featprog@ticalc.org.

The comments below are written by ticalc.org visitors. Their views are not necessarily those of ticalc.org, and ticalc.org takes no responsibility for their content.

Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
Adamw  Account Info
(Web Page)

Boy, ticalc just gets better and better, I love it. First comment :)

     30 October 1999, 00:42 GMT

Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
ajorians  Account Info

Yep, Although now they have to add to basically all pages, under the screenshot, description, and animated screenshot, the description of what it means for the calculator challenged.

     30 October 1999, 02:00 GMT

Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
Kouri  Account Info
(Web Page)

Yeah, the new features are cool. My only gripe is that authors still get screwed if they change their e-mail address or some other detail. Authors should somehow be able to edit their information at any time, so their files won't get separated.

     30 October 1999, 08:55 GMT

Re: Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
Phil Genera  Account Info
(Web Page)

Authors can email me (filearchive@ticalc.org) and ask me to change their author info. This I can do very easily :)
--
Phil

     30 October 1999, 21:24 GMT

Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
Patrick Wilson  Account Info
(Web Page)

I like pie.

Interpret it as you wish.

     30 October 1999, 00:44 GMT

Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
Adam Berlinsky-Schine  Account Info
(Web Page)

Great, this gives people a whole new reason to whine at ticalc.org. Prepare for a whole slew of "Why didn't my TI-81 BASIC Guessing game get a 'featured program'?!?!?!"

     30 October 1999, 00:54 GMT

Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
Nick Disabato  Account Info
(Web Page)

Good: "Why didn't this person's program become featured? I tried it out the other day and I really liked it."
Bad: "Why didn't my program get featured? I spent hours on it! YOU SUCK!"
Worse: "YOU SUCK!"

--BlueCalx

     30 October 1999, 00:57 GMT

Re: Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
Rackford Smith  Account Info
(Web Page)

"YOU SUCK!"

--Racko

     30 October 1999, 02:15 GMT

Re: Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
Chris R  Account Info
(Web Page)

hrmmm i think paint pro should be featured :) but i'd rather wait until i release the grayscale version :) which should be out pretty soon..it's already working :)

     30 October 1999, 02:21 GMT

Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
The_Professor  Account Info

I have a suggestion for another update: on news items with over 100 comments on them, there shoulc be a few pages for comments with about 50 comments per page, so that the page doesn't take forever to load, especialy for people who just want to read the entire news item.

     30 October 1999, 01:30 GMT

Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
Erich Oelschlegel  Account Info
(Web Page)

Of course, this would break up the threaded discussions if there was a limit of posts per page. Maybe a JavaScript expandable box could work, where all posts start out as subject headers or the first line of a post, and users could expand the box if they wanted to see or read more. Also, if people have slow internet connections, is it possible to make a text-only version that doesn't rely on tables, just indentations? That would drastically speed up the loading time.

~ferich

     30 October 1999, 01:47 GMT

Re: Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
Nick Chaves  Account Info
(Web Page)

Other than that, if you do change it, don't change it to one of those message boards with Next Thread Previous Thread Next Post Previous Post types in which you can only view one post or one thread at a time. Those take so long to read, and with the number of posts made on this site per day, I certainly wouldn't take the time to read even all of one topic's posts. The format right now is good, but I did pass on reading the 400 posts news item because when it was only 200 something it took forever to load. (400 posts x 2k per post avg = 800k ~= 1 megabyte AGGGGGGH!). I think a script that divided it into pages between threads would be the best idea.

That's my 25¢ (oh, did I take too much?)

Nick Chaves

     30 October 1999, 02:12 GMT

Re: Re: Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
The_Professor  Account Info

That is what I was thinking: divide pages between threads.

     30 October 1999, 02:32 GMT

Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
AlienCow  Account Info
(Web Page)

Good idea! I had been thinking about this problem for awhile, but hadn't given any thought to a solution.

For people with slow internet connections, (namely, moi) that post with four hundred some comments from a few days ago takes two or three minutes to load. :/

     30 October 1999, 01:50 GMT

Re: Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
The_Professor  Account Info

I have a very slow connection (a shared 56k that connects at 21600), and the post with over 400 comments took at least 5 minutes to load, and then it was blank where the posts were supposed to be! Before that, when I got to see the posts, it took forever just to scroll a little on the page (when there were less than 300 comments), probably becasue I have only 32 MB of RAM (pc100), as my computer has a decent speed (350 mHz)

     30 October 1999, 02:41 GMT

Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
ticalc_chris Account Info
(Web Page)

Yeah, it's definitely messy when an article gets so many comments. However, only 17 of about 350 articles (i.e. 5%) that have been posted since we opened commenting actually have 100 or more comments.

We're looking into some possible changes, though, and assuming we keep commenting at all, a very likely change would be a Slashdot-like rating system to let you display only comments above a certain threshold. This would keep pages smaller since "demoted" comments (a significant percentage, I predict) would be hidden by default, and this might avoid the size problem in most cases. Then again, maybe not.

Doing multiple pages is tricky since, in theory, there could be a hundred replies to a single comment, and splitting it up would interrupt the flow of discussion. If we just displayed subjects it would be easier, but most people don't bother to type a subject.

Still, if you've got some ideas for this, please send us some mail. But please keep in mind that we won't make any changes until after the unmoderated period is over, and even then coding and testing will take some time.

Chris

     30 October 1999, 02:22 GMT

Re: Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
The_Professor  Account Info

What about the surveys? They all have over 100 comments on them.

     30 October 1999, 02:34 GMT

Re: Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
augustz

Yee haw... Moderation!

     1 November 1999, 11:12 GMT

Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
elcobbola  Account Info
(Web Page)

I don't know if this will work, only time will tell. I still think the POTM should be the same as before but with a basic and asm slot for each calculator. If you keep a list of what programs have won for what calculator it will be so very easy to remove past winners...

Kind of off-topic: update the awards page. It was last updated June/July...

     30 October 1999, 02:03 GMT

Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
Kirk Meyer  Account Info
(Web Page)

Probably because I created the awards page and then everyone forgot about it...

The featured programs/POTM integration was my idea. So if you hate it, blame me. But I think that it will work really really well (assuming that they are able to spot good programs without testing them).

     30 October 1999, 02:19 GMT

Re: Re: Re: More New Features: Featured Programs
raw33 Account Info

Yay Kirk!

     30 October 1999, 03:34 GMT

1  2  3

You can change the number of comments per page in Account Preferences.

  Copyright © 1996-2012, the ticalc.org project. All rights reserved. | Contact Us | Disclaimer